MSI New Employee Orientation
Welcome to The University of Texas at Austin, Marine Science Institute! Here's a one-stop-shop to assist you with what you need to do within your first month on the job. You will need a high assurance EID to do this. Please see Johnny Reyes, Administrative Assistant, to confirm that you have or need assistance in acquiring a high assurance EID.
For a printable copy of this page, click here.
Your First Day
- Payroll Information — Complete My Paycheck Profile online (EID required). If you are unable to use the online Paycheck Profile, download the Payroll Employee Information Form and a Form W-4 from the Payroll Website and turn them in to Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, Room M207.
- ID Card – You can get your ID card by having one of the Administrative Staff take your picture. The picture is emailed to the Austin ID Center and your ID card will be mailed to Port Aransas.
- Acknowledge the Ethics Statement* — Read and acknowledge the Standards of Conduct and Political Activities online (EID required). If you are unable to use the online version, you may download the English or Spanish version [PDF] and return it to Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, Room M207.
- Selective Service Eligibility* — If you're a male between the ages of 18 and 25, complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification online. If you are unable to use the online version, you may download the form [PDF] and turn it in to your Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207.
- Conflicts of Interest Policy — Read both the policy and the statute of law concerning conflicts of interest within three business days.
- Employee Information — Complete your Employee Biographical Information and your Veteran Status Information. If you are unable to use the online version, you may download the Employee Biographical form [PDF] and the Veteran Status Information form [PDF] and turn it in to Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207
- Insurance Selections — After receiving insurance information and forms, you must make your insurance selections and return the completed forms to the Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207, within the first 31 calendar days of employment. Otherwise, your insurance plan will default to the basic coverage package for full-time employees only; dependents and part-time employees will forfeit insurance coverage altogether if the forms aren't submitted.
- Compliance Training — Begin your compliance training. The Sexual Harassment and Equal Employment Opportunity modules are mandated by the state, and the remaining modules are required by the university. For alternate methods of taking the training, contact Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207.
- Read the Employee Compliance Guide — Print and turn in the signed acknowledgment form to Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207.
- Supervisor Meeting — Talk with your supervisor about your job description, performance expectations, probationary period, and performance evaluation.
- E-mail Account — Sign up for your free employee e-mail account. You must have an active appointment and a completed My Paycheck Profile to activate your e-mail account. We prefer that you use your first and last name or first initial and last name such as "john.doe" or "j.doe".
- Keys — Please work with your supervisor to complete the Key Request form found in your employment packet.
- Prior State Service — Read about prior state service transfer and print Request for Transfer of Prior State Service and Leave Balances [PDF], return the form to Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207.
- Timesheets — Go to your electronic timesheets and choose the appropriate reporting group in the timesheet system, if necessary. Ask your Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207, if you're unsure which group to choose.
- Nonresident Aliens — Please be sure you have completed your GLACIER record. You should have received your login instructions via the UT Secure Message System within two weeks of beginning employment. Return the forms generated from GLACIER and required immigration documents to Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207.
- Insurance Forms — If you're benefits-eligible, return your completed insurance and retirement forms to the Patty Webb, HR Coordinator, M207. If you don't return the forms within the first 31 calendar days of your employment, you'll default into the basic coverage package (full-time employees), or you'll forfeit your insurance coverage altogether (part-time employees).
- Compliance Training — Make sure you've completed your required compliance training within 30 days.